Recruiters are part of how the world works. For the most part, I don’t mind being contacted by them. They’re doing their job. However, I do mind when they lack manners. I probably shouldn’t complain that I’m being contacted, but the lack of manners is one of my biggest pet peeves so I’m bitching. Here’s a few recent examples.
Last month I got one that included:
If for some reason you are not interested …
I think it’s a bit presumptuous to assume I would be interested. It’s probably a form footer, which doesn’t make it any better.
Currently I am crazy searching for 4 positions in the bay.
This is the first sentence from somebody I haven’t ever talked to. No “Hello”, no “My name is _____ and I’m reaching out to you because _____”. Also, you’re “crazy searching”? Really?
Earlier today I had somebody call my work extension (which is not in any public place that I know of, nor have I given it to anybody outside the company). How did she get my number? Not only that, but she flat-out lied about what is on my LinkedIn profile:
I actually came across your LinkedIn profile and um… I see blatantly there that you’re um… um… in a position to look for something new.
Go ahead and look at my profile. If you see anything there that says I’m interested in something new, let me know so I can remove it. I have zero plans to leave Mozilla.
Obviously not all recruiters are rude. I like to think we have an awesome recruiting team at Mozilla, and I’ve been contacted by very polite people. I remember the nice ones and I’ve even reached out to the some when friends have been looking for positions.
So recruiters, here are some simple rules for contacting people:
- Say some sort of greeting.
- Introduce yourself, let me know where you work.
- Tell me how you got my name/email/phone number, etc.
- Then tell me about the awesome position that you think I’m qualified for and will love.
- DON’T MAKE SHIT UP (especially about me, I mean seriously)
- You’re going to say “if you know anybody else who might be interested please forward this along” or something along those lines. We all know it.
- If you’ve done the above, I’ll respond in a similarly polite fashion and maybe forward the position on to somebody who might be looking for a job.